Friday, January 6, 2012

Sydney Spies, Durango High School Senior's Photo Yanked - Full Video




18-year-old Sydney Spies wearing a black shawl and yellow skirt with plenty of skin in between.

However Spies is arguing that she was just trying to exercise her right to freedom of expression.

"Some people might think it's a little bit sexy or inappropriate. But I think it's artistic. I think it's a good expression of who I am as a person," Spies told 9News. "I'm a dancer, I'm trying to be a model, I really enjoy photography and I think that this is a good thing to represent me and I think they are taking away my freedom of expression."

After turning in her photo for publication, Spies says she was told she needed to make a different selection even though, she says, the yearbook editors had already voted 4-1 to allow it. The editors however told the Durango Herald on Thursday that in fact they decided, and not the administration nor their overseeing advisor, to revoke Spies photo.

According to the Student Press Law Center, Colorado's revised statute section 22-1-120 lays out specific free speech and press protections to public school publications "written substantially by students" but also contains a provision "making it the adviser's responsibility to supervise production and 'maintain professional standards.'"

Share This Story to Your Friends ---

Share/Bookmark

No comments: