Sunday, June 12, 2011

Jenson Button Q&A: It's the best victory of my career 13 Jun 2011


http://www.formula1.com/wi/500x400/sutton/2011/d11cdn2124.jpg
Sunday’s spectacular Canadian race had highs and lows for most of the drivers, but it was probably McLaren’s Jenson Button who experienced some of the biggest troughs and peaks in Montreal. And Button was understandably emotional after emerging victorious from a tumultuous ride, which saw him collide with his team mate, pit five times and receive a drive-through penalty. He relives all the action…

Q: Jenson, how does it feel?
Jenson Button:
It is truly fantastic. During races, under such difficult conditions, it is essential to keep on fighting because you never know what can happen. Obviously I’ve made some unscheduled pit stops with some broken parts on my car but that didn’t hamper me from securing victory on the last lap. It is a special day indeed. It has been quite a long time since my last win, but even if I hadn’t won the race I would be very happy because I enjoyed it so much fighting my way through. When you put one over someone with a move it means a lot. The car was great today, especially in the dry conditions. An amazing victory and I don’t think I could have done anything better. It feels great - especially after Monaco where we thought we would do better. Okay Sebastian made a mistake, but I think we deserved it to win.

Q: You collided with your teammate. What are your thoughts on that?
JB:
I don’t really want to say anything. I couldn’t see anything - it was behind me. I just saw something orange, which could have been my rear wing, and I moved to the left, which was the racing line. And then I felt a bang. You don’t want to pressure your team mate, but Lewis knows that, as well as I do. We spoke before the race was restarted again and we cleared it all up. We both agreed that it was one of those racing incidents. With Fernando (Alonso), I feel I did nothing wrong. I was on the inside and he suddenly accelerated, which I found very unusual.

Q: Today’s result puts you in second in the drivers’ championship…
JB:
Well, I don’t really want to think about that now. I just want to enjoy this win because it’s a long time since I won.

Q: Was it your sweetest victory since winning the championship?
JB:
Yes, indeed it is. Last year was somewhat special because I jumped into a new car and I went through some very tough races and difficult circumstances, but here we are again. So yes, it is a very sweet moment. Probably today was the best victory of my career. They have all been special, but today was extra special. I have to admit that without KERS and the DRS it would have been very difficult to win. Using KERS and the DRS correctly makes a bit difference.

Q: Aside from your perfect use of KERS and DRS, you seemed to be the best man at understanding the tyres too…
JB:
Yes, I guess I understood the tyres today very well. But also our car understood the tyres well - and my engineers. I think the calls that we made were very good. I was really able to push the dry tyres at the end of the race. I was so on the edge when I was chasing down Vettel. Indeed I couldn’t get any more out of the car. But it was enough!

Q: If somebody would have told you before the race that you would pit six times and still win, what would you have said?
JB:
That this person has a great imagination! This is such a difficult track to race in the dry, but in the wet it is awesome. You have so little grip - and then you fight your way through the whole field from last - it’s amazing. I remember the team telling me at the second to last safety car that I’ve got the catch the field! Catch the field as much as you can! When the safety car came in I was in 20th and then to pass all those cars for the win, is simply phenomenal! I will have a smile on my face for a long time!

Q: How did that last lap feel for you?
JB:
I was actually pushing hard over the last couple of laps. I was driving very aggressively for me, and on the last lap I thought that I was closing in just enough to have a go at Sebastian on the back straight. I knew with DRS it would be possible to pass on there so I hoped to get close enough to have a go into the last chicane. Well, I didn’t need that opportunity because Sebastian made a mistake - and for once luck was on our side. I think we deserved a bit of luck today.




Share This Story to Your Friends ---

Share/Bookmark

No comments: